Thursday 27 May 2010

Funny old time

It's been a funny old month...work has been stressful, management unhelpful. That's what happens in large companies I s'pose. Unfortunately I have to work, else I would have told them where to stick it! So I'm looking for a new job along with a few million others!
On the up side it's been a good month for one of my favourite pastimes, going to gigs.
So me and a couple of friends had the pleasure of seeing the Slits at the Islington Academy. What a brilliant gig, it was like a big family party. Ari is so funny she cracks me up, she still has the mischievous young girl about her. She does love a costume change and nearly every song is either taking something off or putting something on. But she is nobody's fool and takes no shit. The Slits have progressed but still maintain the punk ideal, more than any other band I can think of that are still going from 76 (are there any?). 
The music is obviously (to me anyway) reggae based as Ari has always been rasta woman. No easy feat either, anyone who knows about the Rastafarian way of life and their behaviour towards women will get that one. They haven't left their punk roots either with the song 'Reject' that could easily be a track from the Peel Sessions. They have grown in size too, up front Ari has a companion in the form of Hollie Cook who enhances the mischief, she also plays keyboards and sings. Tessa Pollitt is the only other original member, a fantastic bass player providing a solid rhythm. 
So, as Ari reminds us, the Slits were the first punk girl band and all the 'others' just conveniently distort their memories to claim THEY were. The Slits are as passionate and real now as they were in 76. Gawd bless 'em.
Another thing, it always surprises me the age of Slits fans, there were a lot of old punks but also a lot of youngsters (showing me age now) . In this age of Cheryl Cole and the like it's good to see not all kids are brainwashed by the Cowell/Walsh bollocks.
So that was that, next gig was The-Front at the Bridgehouse. I'd never seen The-Front before, not difficult as this is their first UK tour ever in their 10 year history. They are from the good ole USA, my mate Laura has loved them for years. She had been in touch with Lauren (singer) and they had arranged to meet so she came along to the Slits gig. She is such a nice american. (Now I have american relations who are lovely, so I know they exist!) Just a normal gal from Wyoming. But blimey she get on stage and belts out the songs, her voice to me is reminiscent of Juliette Lewis, not a bad thing! More punky but still tuneful. She has a real stage presence.


The band are an extremely tight three piece providing driving rhythms. The drummer Dustan is a lovely chap who turns into Animal from the Muppets when sat at his kit, Although he did remind me of Ed Byrne, the comedian. The bassist Mike plays heavy rhythmic bass lines that make you go aaaah, it's so nice to hear a bass being played properly. Steve the guitar man is equally competent providing some lovely riffs, you can tell these guys love each other and love playing together. Obviously not in a hippy way or else that wouldn't be punk would it?
Oh nearly forgot, Lauren dragged Laura on stage for the song Death Dress,  the video is on You Tube.
Right I'm off for now... The-Front still have a couple of dates in the UK left, if it's near you do yourself a favour and go and have some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment